Manage episode 297996560 series 2287089
In a world where we are bombarded with health advice, it is easy to feel lost in a sea of unverified information. From dietary supplementation to exercise, we are inundated with suggestions, hard-sell advertisements and sometimes peer pressure, to take up one regime or another. LLAMA’s advice is simple; consult your primary care doctor or healthcare professional if you are considering lifestyle changes that involve a new diet or exercise program. In this episode, we meet a family physician who has been wrestling with frequently asked questions and evolving medical science for over forty years. Dr. Walt Larimore is the author of multiple books and articles on healthcare, including the Natural Medicine Handbook: The truth about the Most Effective Herbs, Vitamins and Supplements for Common Conditions. In this conversation with Peter Bowes, Dr. Larimore, who is based in the US city of Colorado Springs, explains how he sorts fact from fiction; why he says sufferers from some of the most debilitating diseases are being offered false hope; and how simple everyday steps can be taken to promote optimum health without the need for any external interventions.
Recorded: June 8, 2021 | Read a transcript and show notes at the LLAMA podcast website.
In this interview we cover:
- A family doctor’s introduction to sharing information about natural medicines on TV
- Why consumers are easy confused by a supplement industry which is unregulated in the US.
- Access to independent quality testing labs to enhance our knowledge about nutritional supplements.
- A lack of training covering nutrition and supplementation for primary care doctors
- How to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of natural medicines based on reliable sources, such as Natural Medicines, ConsumerLab.com and LabDoor.com
- Are we being bamboozled into taking supplements that we don’t need? What are the alternatives?
- Simple lifestyle habits like avoiding tobacco, regular movement, a good diet and restful sleep to promote good health.
- Choosing an evidence based nutrition plan for optimum health. How to filter the available information based on accessibility, cost and nutritional value.
- Why is a Mediterranean type diet highly-rated as a nutrition plan?
- Finding recipes and exercise programs that involve fun and suit the entire family
- Incorporating movement into your life, little by little, to nurture the mind and body.
- The common conditions that lead to enduring ill-health, such as heart disease, hypertension, diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s and the scourge of obesity.
- The advertising industry and false hope for people suffering from dementia.
- Religious struggle and health challenges.
- Daily, spiritual discipline to promote good health and wellbeing.
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast, a HealthSpan Media LLC production, shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you
DoNotAge.org is on a mission to extend healthspan for as many people as possible. The longevity research organisation is offering listeners to LLAMA a 10% discount on its range of products - NAD boosters, Sirtuin activators, senolytics & more. Use the code LLAMA at checkout. This is a great way for you to support the podcast. Any health queries can be answered by the team at DoNotAge: email - firstname.lastname@example.orgSupport the show (https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=B6J44X8APFEJA)