Manage episode 336599068 series 2996299
A lot of us have niggling bodily pains. A bum knee, a tight hip, an achy back. My guest would say that the cause of those maladies, as well as their cure, can likely be traced to a common source: your posture.
His name is VinhPham and he's a physical therapist and the author ofSit Up Straight: Future-Proof Your Body Against Chronic Pain with 12 Simple Movements. Today on the show, Vinh explains the problems that can arise when we don't stand and sit properly, and simply sit too much in general, and how those problems can be prevented by practicing good posture. He explains what good posture looks like when you're sitting and standing, and the cues that will help keep your body well-aligned. Vinh shares the ideal ratio of sitting to standing to aim for throughout the day, and a better way to hold your phone so you don't get something called "tech neck." Vinh then walks us through some exercises you can do to address physical issues you may already have, from tight shoulders and hips to lower back pain.
Resources Related to the Podcast
- AoM Article: The Ultimate Guide to Posture
- AoM Article: De-Quasimodo Yourself — 6 Exercises to Counteract Slouching
- AoM Article: 7 Simple Exercises That Undo the Damage of Sitting
- AoM Podcast #213: Undoing the Damage of Chronic Sitting
- AoM Article: The History, Benefits, and Use of Standing Desks
Connect With Vinh Pham