Manage episode 362700665 series 172966
Today’s guest is the legendary astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. Tyson is the director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History, the host of the Emmy nominated podcast, Star Talk, and the recipient of 21 honorary doctorates. He also has an asteroid named in his honor.
Tyson’s latest book is right up our alley on the show. It's called Starry Messenger: Cosmic Perspectives on Civilization and it’s basically about how taking a scientific perspective can improve your life—and the world.
In this episode we talk about:
- Applying a scientific lens to our emotions
- The importance of intellectual humility
- How the knowledge of death brings meaning to life
- Neil’s long view of social media
- Whether we are living in a simulation
- Neil's personal mental health regime
- And whether there is intelligent life in the universe