Manage episode 294521986 series 2287089
Finding the most effective workout and diet regime, with the goal of getting fit and lean, is, for many, the ultimate challenge. Even elite athletes struggle as they strive to achieve their peak level of performance. Jon Pearlman, a former #1 singles player for the Harvard tennis team, learned through personal experience that athletic prowess does not come easy. The two time All-Ivy athlete and ATP-ranked touring professional, had performance setbacks as a young tennis player but he learned through his struggles and now advises others on the best way to build a healthy, lean body for life.
In this episode of the LLAMA podcast, the author of The Lean Body Manual and co-founder of the fitness app, Mission Lean, discusses his mission to help people transform their bodies and defy their age.
In conversation with Peter Bowes, Jon discusses the pros and cons of a 'strength and conditioning' approach to fitness training; explains why he prefers to workout on an empty stomach; and why he believes there's an "inner athlete" just waiting to be discovered in all of us.
This LLAMA podcast episode is co-produced in association with Mission Lean, the fitness app that offers more than 150 on-demand workouts, specifically designed and curated to get you lean.
Topics covered in this interview include:
- Jon's personal journey to peak physical fitness.
- Experimenting with different workout regimes.
- Overcoming fitness obstacles by focussing on lean fitness methods.
- Obsession and determination to achieve peak physical fitness and a performance edge.
- Questioning the value of weightlifting and a 'strength and conditioning' approach to fitness training.
- The importance of muscle strength for older people.
- Achieving optimum fitness and finding the best workout to make it happen.
- Takeaway lessons from Jon's experience training with the world's top tennis players
- The Lean Body Manual
- Defining the fitness goal - physically and mentally - before setting out to achieve it.
- Adapting to using an app as a fitness coach.
- Heart-rate zone training and a Mediterranean diet.
- Lifestyle hacks and how, what and when to eat.
- The age-old debate about the most important meal of the day.
- Figuring out an "ideal harmony" between working out and eating.
- Exercising with an app and developing the right mindset to achieve success.
- The impact of Covid on at-home workouts
- Personal longevity aspirations and latching on to the inner athlete.
- Prolonging healthspan through a commitment to a structured fitness program
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast, a HealthSpan Media LLC production, shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.