Ep. 27: Inside My Planning Discipline, the Joys and Sorrows of Slack, and Finding Depth Among Shallow Friends | DEEP QUESTIONS
Manage episode 272006062 series 2701426
In this episode of Deep Questions I answer reader questions about what’s on my weekly plan at the moment, the complicated impact of Slack, and pursuing depth among friends more interested in fun.
I will be sending out a new request for text questions to my mailing list soon. You can sign up for my mailing list at calnewport.com. You can submit audio questions at https://www.speakpipe.com/CalNewport
Please consider subscribing (which helps iTunes rankings) and leaving a review or rating (which helps new listeners decide to try the show).
Here’s the full list of topics tackled in today’s episode along with the timestamps:
* Is monthly planning necessary? (Bonus: A look at my current plans) [2:12]
* Breaking up time blocks [10:03]
* Debunking writer’s blocks [11:28]
* Favoritism versus career capital [17:56]
* When to stop studying [27:35]
* Getting back up when struggling in your work [30:19]
QUESTION ROULETTE [34:58]
* The productivity apps I use [42:49]
* Do academics need good digital presences? [43:37]
* Leaving social media when you can’t leave the house [45:13]
* The mixed impact of the rise of Slack [50:53]
BACKSTAGE PASS [57:41]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS
* Finding a calling when you’re interesting in many things [1:01:57]
* Sticking to the deep life when you’re friends are deeply into the fun life (Bonus: tales from my one day as a Dartmouth frat brother) [1:07:14]
Thanks to listener Jay Kerstens for the intro music.