Manage episode 270768832 series 2701426
In this episode of Deep Questions I answer reader questions about the puzzling connection between email and saunas, the best way to preach depth to your team, and the under-appreciated power of rooted productivity, among many other topics. I also take some time to answer an Audio Question of the Day.
I will be sending out a new request for text questions to my mailing list soon. You can sign up for my mailing list at calnewport.com. You can submit audio questions at https://www.speakpipe.com/CalNewport
Please consider subscribing (which helps iTunes rankings) and leaving a review or rating (which helps new listeners decide to try the show).
Here’s the full list of topics tackled in today’s episode along with the timestamps:
* Email saunas and the struggle for depth [6:08]
* Saying "no" when new to a job [10:24]
* Dealing with unexpected free time [14:57]
* Should I become a professor? [17:55]
* Getting others to buy in on Deep Work [25:12]
* Find time for hard thinking in a job that focuses on soft skills [27:07]
AUDIO QUESTION OF THE DAY [31:51]
* Effective reading [36:58]
* Being productive in an organization that embraces Outlook [40:26]
* Using entertainment-only devices [44:19]
DEEP LIFE QUESTIONS
* Exercise routines for focus [46:48]
* Keeping track of your productivity habits [53:10]
* Feeling stuck at home during the pandemic [59:56]
Thanks to listener Jay Kerstens for the intro music.