Ep. 6: Balancing the Personal and Professional, Unreasonable Email Expectations, and Avoiding Hard Creative Work | DEEP QUESTIONS
Manage episode 265661840 series 2701426
In this episode of Deep Questions I answer reader questions on balancing the professional and the personal, unreasonable email expectations and using the internet to escape hard creative work. I also play some question roulette and attempt a lightening round in which I answer as many question as possible in a single minute.
To submit your own questions, sign up for my mailing list at calnewport.com (I send a survey to this list soliciting questions on a semi-regular basis.)
Full list of topics tackled in today’s episode:
* Separating personal and professional when planning.
* Inducing a sense of urgency.
* Balancing work and relationships in lockdown.
* Getting into graduate school with bad grades.
* Starting a productivity journey.
* Resetting expectations about email response time.
* Tracking health metrics.
* Finding blog readers without social media.
* Lightening Round:
- how much deep work can fit in a day?
- what is minimum deep work block length?
- what are tips for overcoming resistance?
- what do you do during your downtime?
* A pastor seeking depth when on call.
* The origin of my discipline.
* A novelist struggling to work.
* Managing reading.
* On schools and the deep life.
As always, thank you to listener Bit Holiday for the original theme music and transition sound effect (bitholiday.net).