Manage episode 324978180 series 2905492
"Solo-GP Series" ep. 1, with Victor Li, Solo-GP @ The Winning Together Fund and On Deck Angels Fellow.
- - -
If you’d love to learn more about how to become a Solo-GP, look for this upcoming series on Venture Notes (venturenotes.co) our private newsletter where we will share the full episodes while we just publish a 15min excerpt on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.
- - -
Even more startup founders are onboarding in their captable non traditional VC firms, in the form of Solo-GPs, via nano-funds or syndicates.
Most of the time, these Solo-GPs are operators-investors, meaning that they have a dual profile
- on one hand their run their startups or are part of a fast-growing startup as a key hire, and
- on the other hand they are growing a deal flow and a community of founders & LPs which allows them to raise a nano-fund or develop a syndicate
Over the past 3 years, we have been witnessing this increasing population of such Solo-GPs.
Still some operators with this potential profile have not launched yet, for various reasons
- they are unsure about their value-add
- they are unsure about how to structure it
- they are unsure about quality & repeatability of their deal-flow…
... and many other questions.
That is why I am launching with the help of On Deck a short series Called “Solo-GP Series” to help you kickstart your thinking about becoming an operator-investor / Solo-GP. In this short “Solo-GP Series” podcast series, you’ll understand
- how to identifyyou actually have a deal flow and how to develop and nurture it
the tipping point to launch as a Solo-GP
- how to craft a compelling thesis
- how to build an LP community …
… plus so much more.
I am myself in the process of launching my solo-gp pre-seed/seed fund, Olive Capital, focusing on web 2.0 and web3 European founders driving change in the way we Create, Collaborate and Communicate.. If you are raising fund, send us your deck! We’re also building a platform with scouts, ecosystem partners, talents for our portfolio companies, and we are organizing LP Dinners in cities part of our ecosystem. If you want to learn more, head to olivecapital.vc.
In this first episode of the “Solo-GP Series” podcast, we get to know Victor Li, repeat founder with Inoki Bathhouse an ecommerce company, and Onova a corporate innovation company. Victor is also an On Deck Angel Fellow and a Solo-GP: about a year ago, Victor launched The Winning Together Fund, a micro fund with a true community-DNA investing in early-stage startups.
In this 4-part episode, Victor shares with us a considerable amount of insights and actionable pieces of advice while driving us through
- how & why he became an entrepreneur
- how he started investing, his initial source of dealflow, his first checks and first investment decisions
- how he started to add value to the startups he has been backing
- his long term vs short term objectives of being a Solo-GP
- how his thesis was becoming clearer along the way
- why Victor is building an incentivized LP community
- how to balance between being an operator and an investor..
.. plus so much more.
I am sure you will love this episode, lets get right in.
These podcasts are produced by UPCOMINGVC® upcoming.vc, created and hosted by Raphael Grieco.